Thursday, September 14, 2006

Technical hiccups!

Wow, I didn't realise just how difficult it would be to get a "playable" version of Elite to run on the PC.
Elite+ refused to work in XP, the C64 version (using WinVice and CCS64) had no sound (why?) so I finally settled with the Amiga version of Elite, using WinUAE1.3.2.
After some considerable configuration on the part of WinUAE, I managed to get a playable version of Elite that is pretty faithful to the original.

First thing I noticed was how hard it was to dock with a Coriolis, until I remembered how I used to do it. Turn to the planet, accelerate to max speed for ten seconds, flip over 180 degrees and straight in full power!.

Decided on a Beam Laser as the first upgrade. Nothing worse than trying to kill a Thargoid with a pulse laser!. Next was the Extra Energy Unit, followed by a Large Cargo Bay and then traded in the Beam for a Military laser. Now the Cobra is "hard-assed" (as described in The Dark Wheel novella), I can notch up some serious kills! (already at Above Average rating).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home